Re: [arm-gnu] Toolchain problem, eabi=4 error message

On Wednesday 06 July 2005 09:14, Robert Klang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just downloaded your toolchain for arm from www.arm.com
>
> (gnu-csl-arm-2005Q1B-arm-none-linux-gnueabi-i686-pc-linux-gnu)
>
> I've setup the path to the bin directory and to
> libexec/gcc/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/3.4.3 directory to find cc1

You shouldn't need to add libexec/... to you path.

> When compiling the simplest c-file
>
>    arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc test.c
>
> I get the error message:  > unrecognized option `-meabi=4'

-meabi=4 is automatically passed to the assembler by the compiler driver. I
guess it's failing to find the proper cross-assembler and trying to use your
native host assembler instead.

> The option eabi=4 is nothing I have added, I guess that I have done
> something wrong.

The gcc driver (arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc) should find the correct cc1 and as
automatically. Please ensure that the directory structure of the tarball is
preserved. It doesn't matter where you install the toolchain, but it is
important that the relative locations of the different components is the
same. ie. if you installed the package in /somewhere, the driver will
be /somewhere/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc, and it will expect to find cc1
and as in /somewhere/libexec/gcc/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/3.4.3/cc1
and /somewhere/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/bin/as respecitvely.

Paul