Re: [arm-gnu] Segmentation fault using --be8 option

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 11:52:48AM +0000, Nick Clifton wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> >So, I'd like to ask again for your help concerning the segmentation fault
> >during Linux-2.6.14.2 kernel building with --be8 option.
>
> Have you tried using a linker built from the most recent sources in the
> binutils CVS repository ?  This problem may well be fixed in those sources.
>
> If the problem still exists there, then are you able to produce a
> *small* self-contained reproducible example that demonstrates the
> problem and which can be posted to this list ?

The ARM 2005 Q3-2 uses binutils head for the build. We don't currently
support big-endian mode with our toolchain and --be8 is untested.

I reproduced the problem with the following testcase:

echo "EOF" >> test.c
int _start (void)
{
  return 0;
}
EOF
arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc -mbig-endian -c test.c
arm-none-linux-gnueabi-ld -EB --be8 -o test test.o
Segmentation fault.

Even if you fix this there is no guarantee that the resulting linux
kernel is going to be runnable. This code will require more support.

Cheers,
Carlos.
--
Carlos O'Donell