How to compile newlib from source?

I've downloaded both the binary and source distributions of the ARM (2005q3)
and installed the binaries successfully. But I need to recompile the C
library for -march=armv4T and -mcpu=arm7tdmi.

Are there instructions anywhere for how to compile newlib properly? I tried
compiling as follows:

configure target=arm-none-linux-gnueabi
--program-prefix=arm-none-linux-gnueabi- --prefix=/opt/codesourcery
make TARGET_CFLAGS="-march=armv4t -mcpu=arm7tdmi"

It compiled OK but the installation doesn't seem to integrate with the rest
of the toolchain (it creates a crt0.o file instead of crt1.o, etc. and is in
a different directory).

Thanks,