From: Daniel Jacobowitz [mailto:dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, January 26, 2007 6:52 AM
To: mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Nandan Nayampally; arm-gnu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [arm-gnu] Which version of gdb supports ARMv7 architecture?

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 08:29:50PM -0800, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> Nandan Nayampally wrote:
> > I believe that the 2006q3-27 release supports ARMv7 compile
including
> > NEON autovectorization.
> >
> > Is the debug (using gdb) also supported by version 6.6 of GDB?
>
> I believe that the version of GDB in that release supports NEON.  For
> example, I believe it will correctly disassembly NEON instructions.
> Daniel, can you confirm that?

I think it will disassemble NEON instructions, but it won't usefully
display values in NEON registers.  They overlap the VFPv3 registers; I
believe we only support the VFPv2 registers at the moment, so half of
them are missing.  And we only display those registers as single /
double floating point, not as vectors.

I think we'd need a bit more work to say we supported debugging; not
a huge amount, though.  Additional register names, types, and Mark S.
pointed out that it might be useful to add some custom code for
printing the polynomial data types.

Of course this work would need to go with particular debug sprites,
e.g. the RDI sprite.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery