[arm-gnu] cannot execute cross compilers

[arm-gnu] cannot execute cross compilers

I'm unable to execute the cross compilers on my Ubuntu Linux computer.  I've downloaded Sourcery G++ Lite 2008q1-126 for ARM GNU/Linux onto my Ubuntu computer and unzipped the tar file using the command line,

tar -xjvf arm-2008q1-126-arm-none-linux-gnueabi-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.bz2

when I execute the compiler in it's native directory using the command

./arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc

I get the error,

bash: ./arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc: No such file or directory

I've included the compiler location in my $PATH and still have the same problem executing this elsewhere.

Other Things I've Tried ...

I tried using the shell script, package.bin, only to get the same result.
I tried different versions including 2008q3

There's probably something simple that I'm missing.  For example does it matter where you extract the cross compilers?  I'm extracting them in my ~/bin directory.

Thanks for any help,
Casey MacDonald