Re: [arm-gnu] UTS_RELEASE / utsrelease.h missing?

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 11:28:24AM -0700, john blair wrote:
> I am trying to cross compile xfree86 using code sourcery toolchain. I end up with an error UTS_RELEASE' undeclared here (not in a function)
>
> According to Marc (XFree86 developer)
> "No mainline kernel source tarball contains include/linux/version.h, nor include/linux/utsrelease.h. They are both generated by the kernel build process, but the latter only after 2.6.17. But the version.h included here advertises a kernel version of 2.6.29. See ...
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=63104eec234bdecb55fd9c15467ae00d0a3f42ac
>
> Therefore, the toolchain tarball was misgenerated in that it does not also contain utsrelease.h. Likely an oversight. Please report this problem to CodeSourcery and see what they say."
> http://www.mail-archive.com/xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxx/msg21251.html

My Debian desktop system also has <linux/version.h> but no
<utsrelease.h>.  I also checked upstream GIT kernel sources, and while
both headers are built only version.h is installed
(include/linux/Kbuild:objhdr-y).  CodeSourcery's current tools use the
recommended "make headers_install" to distribute kernel headers.

Are you trying to build a userspace server or a kernel module?
utsrelease.h might be available for kernel modules, which require a
build tree.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery