Re: [arm-gnu] Is arm-2009q1-203-arm-none-linux-gnueabi version support for ARM architecture v7(armv7)

On Wed, 2009-12-16 at 09:56 +0530, nagaraju goruganti wrote:
> hi,
>
> Is  arm-2009q1-203-arm-none-linux-gnueabi version support for ARM
> architecture v7(armv7),If not ,What should I do to compile code for
> armv7(-march=armv7)?
>
> I have tried this
>   #arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc -o hello_open hello.c -march=armv7
>
> but giving error:hello.c:1: error: target CPU does not support ARM
> mode

armv7 is a pseudo architecture name, rather than a real one.  It
represents the common subset of armv7-a, armv7-r and armv7-m.  This is
essentially thumb2 instructions, but without the thumb-2 div.

So to compile for it you need to also specify -mthumb (or you will see
the error message you mention above).

Most of the time, however, you'll really want to use the full
architecture name for your target rather than this pseudo architecture.

Note: You normally cannot link for the armv7 pseudo architecture.  At
link time you really do need to know what type of system you will be
running on in order to get the right start-up code.

R.