Re: [arm-gnu] Thumb mode

On Friday 22 Jan 2010 5:15:37 am Charles Manning wrote:
> On Thursday 21 January 2010 04:45:10 Kishore wrote:
> > Is there any way of informing the compiler to compile ISR's in ARM mode?
> > The way i currently know is by compiling the file that contains the ISR
> > without the -mthumb compiler option.
> >
> > The problem i have is that my build system puts in the -mthumb option
> > globally and i override that with -marm option for files containing the
> > ISR's. However, I would curious to know if there is another method like a
> > function attribute to the same effect.
>
> While Carlos has given you adequate answer, it leaves me wondering why
> you'd want to do this.
>
> While ARM  mode is faster on some devices that is not true for all devices.

Actually, i have not yet concluded that I want to run in thumb mode. I had
read recently that thumb mode results in smaller and faster code on some
processors and so i wanted to try it. First i wanted to test whether my
program works fully when compiled in thumb. I am happy to say that i observed
no change in functioning of my program when compiled in thumb mode.

Now for the performance front. I am still evaluating this. There is a ~35%
size reduction. I am not pressed for size as i have a AT91SAM7S256 with 256 KB
of flash and even in ARM mode I am consuming only about 90 KB (Release mode O3,
O2 results in smaller but slower code). I am really interested on the speed
front that I am yet to test. Does anyone have any comments on this?
--
Cheers!
Kishore