Linker files and startup code

Hi,

I'm trying to establish exactly what happens in the startup C files and loader scripts that come with the CodeSourcery gcc package. Normally, I've used my own loader scripts and my own startup code, but for the project I'm starting work on at the moment, I thought I'd look at the scripts that came with the pre-packaged setup. I'm using a MCF5213 (256K flash, 32K Ram) here, on my own board and with no other software but my own code. This post is a few comments on what I have seen so far, which may be of interest to the CodeSourcery guys (many thanks for your work, by the way!) or other users.

First off, it's a tough job finding the source code for the startup files. I tracked down the appropriate crt0.S, though it would be *very* useful to have had that in the binary build distributions as well as the source distribution. But I can't trace the sources for crtbegin.o or crtend.o anywhere. Since they are small, an objdump disassembly listing is not bad, but I'd like to know where they came from...

The linker scripts and the crt0.S seem to be based entirely on the idea that the code is running from ram. On many ColdFire's, that is the case - you have a bootloader of some sort which copies the code from slow flash into fast ram for execution. But on the more integrated devices like the 5213, you need to run the code from flash. This means that the loader scripts should support the separate memory areas, with code going in flash, bss going in ram, and data going in flash but with logical addresses in ram, and the crt0 startup should copy the initial values into ram.

A minor point about the crt0.S code is that it clears the bss section byte by byte. On the ColdFire, writing 32-bit words will clear the section about four times as fast.

mvh.,

David