Re: [coldfire-gnu-discuss] Re; gcc Compiler , Debugger for Windows

Re: [coldfire-gnu-discuss] Re; gcc Compiler , Debugger for Windows

techie embedded wrote:
Hello members

Well, I'm starting off with ColdFire ( MCF5282 ) as i need to be involved with some development on it...

Will apprecite if you can give me some links that can kickstart my work on MCF5282.

First and foremost, where do i start off from???

I have got the ColdFire -- GCC libraries from codesourcery.com <http://codesourcery.com/>. So is this along with a Cygwin environment enough or is there something that is opensource & comes as a plugin to Eclipse that i can use???

regards

Krish

You don't need Cygwin if you have the windows binaries from CodeSourcery, as they are stand-alone exe files. You might want a cygwin environment if you want something close to a *nix environment on your PC, but you don't need it. If you just want a few more *nix utilities (cat, less, grep, rm, etc.), you are probably better off getting mingw and msys - they provide a much lighter, faster and more "native" setup than Cygwin.

If you want good integration with Eclipse, then I expect the best method is to buy a subscription from CodeSourcery, as that is one of the benefits of their commercial packages. That way you can be sure it will work, and it is quite likely that they have examples to help you get started.

If you bought a development board of some sort, then there are probably some example programs available from the supplier as a start point.

mvh.,

David