Re: [coldfire-gnu-discuss] Chasing RAM - libc ..

Re: [coldfire-gnu-discuss] Chasing RAM - libc ..

On 10/13/2010 11:31 AM, m8847 wrote:
I am a bit short of RAM in my project, so I am trying to free up as much
as
possible, and I have seen that libc uses a lot, which I am unsure about.

I have rolled my own malloc()/free(), and thus should not use any library
version of them. I hope. And I only use C-code, no C++.

These are the worst consuming bits, but maybe these are things that need
be around(?) (or can I somehow tweak them away?):

Link with -Wl,-Map,linkermap.txt to generate a linker map. The start of the linker map shows *why* each object file was pulled into the executable e.g. a call to foo requires symbol bar pulling in bar.o.

From the list of required symbols and dependencies you can track down why this data and zero-initialized data is required.

Cheers,
CArlos.
--