Re: [cxx-abi-dev] ABI modification for exception propagation

Re: [cxx-abi-dev] ABI modification for exception propagation

Sebastian Redl wrote:
Mark Mitchell wrote:
Ideally, it should be possible to freely mix old and new object files in a single application. It should be possible to throw an exception in an old file and catch it in a new one, and vice versa.
Hmm, I think that's not possible. Definitely not in the separation model.

If true, that's very unfortunate. C++ has gotten a somewhat well-deserved black eye by not maintaining binary compatibility over time. If you've needed about long-term binary compatibility, C has been a better choice for a long time. The C++ ABI was designed in part to put an end to that problem. I would hope that we could extend the ABI in a way that would permit old code to continue to work, without

Is the issue that current_exception may need additional information in order to locate the copy constructor for the thrown object. Is that the issue?

Thanks,

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery