From: Paul Brook [mailto:paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2004 1:55 PM
To: arm-gnu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Subramanian Sridharan-rat701; arm-gnu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [arm-gnu] ARM GNU Linux toolchain problems

On Thursday 22 April 2004 19:21, Subramanian Sridharan-rat701 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I obtained the latest GNU ARM tool chain from codesourcery.com
> (Release Q1 2004). Is this a stable release?
>
> I tried building linux kernel (2.6 with arm patches) but could not get
> it to build. Some of the errors include:

Both of the following are problems with the kernel rather than the compiler.
The linux kernel uses nonstandard GCC extension, some of which are no longer
supported.

> - No option short-load-bytes

This has been renamed to -malignment-traps.

> - Some inlining functions not implemented

The meaning of "extern inline" has changed.

There are a couple of other known issues you may encounter:
- Casts as lvalues are no longer allowed. eg. ((char *)foo)++.  This can be
rewritten as foo = (<type of foo>)(((char *)foo)+1)
- Some of the inline asm stataements in atomic.h require "&" contraints on the
outputs to avoid generating illegal strex instructions.

> Can you let me know if I have to do something different to make this
> release of the toolchain (which claims to have partial EABI
> compatibility - which we need) work with Linux Kernel. Do I need to
> rebuild it?

Rebuilding the compiler will not help, you need to fix the kernel. Some of these problems are not arm-specific and may already have been fixed in
the latest kernel versions.

Paul