Re: [arm-gnu] Support for iwmmxt and soft-float

On Thursday 01 July 2004 13:19, Luca Piccarreta wrote:
> Hi all.
> I just joined the mailing list, so forgive me if I ask already asked
> questions!
> Is codesourcery's toolchain capable of doing soft-float
> with iwmmxt support?

Yes. The default configuration generates soft-float code.
To generate iwmmxt code you need to compile with gcc -march=iwmmxt
mabi=iwmmxt.
However this changes the ABI, and the supplied runtime support libraries will
not work. Thus is of little practical use on its own.

> Should it be recompiled?

Yes, for the reason stated above.

You should be able to recompile the toolchain for the xscale-elf, although
this hasn't been tested.

The alternative is to use the arm-none-elf target and configure gcc with
--with-float=soft --with-arch=iwmmxt --with-abi=iwmmxt.

Either way you'll also need to rebuild newlib.

Paul