unable to compile assembly files

hi,
I downloaded the gcc-arm-elf-3.4.0 binary package for windows. First I had to figure out how to set up the environment.
after that i was able to compile all the .c files.
when compiling the .s files i get errors and warnings on the comments in the assembly file, instrructions like IMPORT, EXPORT and all the labels used in the assembly file.
how do i come accross this?
i will be greatfull if you can help me out.
awaiting the reply.
swaminathan.