Re: [arm-gnu] unable to compile assembly files

On Wednesday 01 September 2004 13:56, Swaminathan Raghunathan wrote:
> hi,
> I downloaded the gcc-arm-elf-3.4.0 binary package for windows. First I had
> to figure out how to set up the environment. after that i was able to
> compile all the .c files.
> when compiling the .s files i get errors and warnings on the comments in
> the assembly file, instrructions like IMPORT, EXPORT and all the labels
> used in the assembly file. how do i come accross this?
> i will be greatfull if you can help me out.
> awaiting the reply.
> swaminathan.

My guess is your assembly files are not using the GNU syntax.
The GNU assembler uses a different syntax to some other assemblers (notably
the ARM assembler). I'm not aware of any utilities to automatically convert
between different assembly syntax.

The syntax used by the GNU assembler is described in the as/gas documentation.
This is supplied in the CodeSourcery packages in "info" format, or is
available online:
http://sources.redhat.com/binutils/docs-2.15/as/index.html

Paul