-funit-at-a-time

I just realized that in our compiler upgrade from 3.3.0 to 4.0.1 (yes,
I realize that this is a huge jump...), -O2 is breaking us. We were
depending on the emitted order of const (non-)variables destined for
our flash image. I now realize that this is something we probably
shouldn't have been depending on to start with, but it seems that it
would be a fairly common requirement for deeply embedded work. I see
that the manual says "As a temporary workaround, -fno-unit-at-a-time
can be used, but this scheme may not be supported by future releases
of GCC." Should I be worried about using this workaround in the long
term? What other method would I use to determine the emitted order of
consts?
--
Bryce Schober