Re: [arm-gnu] porting linux 2.6.18.1(EABI) support GCC-4.1.1(eabi) shell not coming

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 04:14:19PM +0530, satpal parmar wrote:
> Hi all ;
>
> I am facing some  problem in porting linux kernel 2.6.18. I went through
> some mailing list,archives and find mails refering exactly the problem I am
> facing but unfortunetly I didnt get any working hints or solutions.I am
> wondering if what I am facing is a known issue for embeded community. I
> apprecaite if someone can  share hsi/her experinece on this isue.
>
> *Problem:* We are porting linux-2.6.18.2 on ARM based chip, with
> toochain-4.1.1(EABI), software floating point and uClibc-0.9.28.1.
> We are using busybox-1.2.2.1 and ash shell.I am facing a certain problem in
> init.c, before the shell comes up.
>
> I have traced the problem and it seems to be that i don't recover from
> the function console_init (in file init.c) .
>
> Same kernel and rootfile system works fine when I compile with  with
> gcc-4.0.3 toolchain (without EABI).So I cannot doubt UART interrupt, or
> console driver.
>
> *following mail list similar problem without  any clues:*
>
> http://buildroot.uclibc.org/lists/buildroot/2007-February/001516.html
>
> http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-embedded/2006-January/021541.html
>

> here is my log;
>

> Waiting for image to be downloaded via ICE...
>
> Linux version 2.6.18.2 (sainin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) (gcc version
> 4.1.1)
>
> #2 Fri Feb 16 15:44:48 IST 2007
>
> CPU: ARM920T [41129200] revision 0 (ARMv4T), cr=c0003177

ISTR hereing that ARM eABI support in GCC requires/assumes an ARMv5TE or
greater processor.  Yet you're using an ARMv4T based processor.  I don't
know for certain if this is causing problems for you here but perhaps
other may comment on status of GCC ARM eABI support on ARMv4T targets,
e.g. if you built userland under the assumption that the processor is
ARMv5TE or above, it aint gonna work on an ARMv4T based processor?

--
Regards,
George