Re: linux 2.6.18.2 with GCC 4.1.1 shell not coming

Re: linux 2.6.18.2 with GCC 4.1.1 shell not coming

Hi,

I had the same problem. We found out the gcc used an floating point
instruction FSTMX to push multible register onto the stack.
(on user space applications) This instruction ist not emulated by the
kernel floating point emulater.

I had configured the uclibc haveing a floating point processor. After
correcting this and rebuilding the gcc everything worked fine.

Martin Pommerenke

|-------------+--------------------------->
|             |                           |
|             | "satpal parmar"           |
|             | <parmarsatpal@xxxxxxxxx>  |
|             | Gesendet von:             |
|             | busybox-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx|
|             | t                         |
|             |                           |
|             |                           |
|             | 16.02.2007 11:48          |
|-------------+--------------------------->
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                           |
  |                                                                                                           |
  |                                                                                                           |
  | An:                                                                                                       |
  |                                                                                                           |
  |          linux-arm-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, busybox@xxxxxxxxxxx, arm-gnu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           |
  |                                                                                                           |
  | Kopie:                                                                                                    |
  |                                                                                                           |
  |                                                                                                           |
  |                                                                                                           |
  | Thema:                                                                                                    |
  |                                                                                                           |
  |          linux 2.6.18.2 with GCC 4.1.1 shell not coming                                                   |
  |                                                                                                           |
  |                                                                                                           |
  |                                                                                                           |
  |                                                                                                           |
  |                                                                                                           |
facing but unfortunetly I didnt get any working hints or solutions.I am
wondering if what I am facing is a known issue for embeded community. I
apprecaite if someone can  share hsi/her experinece on this isue.

Problem: We are porting linux-2.6.18.2 on ARM based chip, with
toochain-4.1.1(EABI), software floating point and uClibc-0.9.28.1.
We are using busybox-1.2.2.1 and ash shell.I am facing a certain problem in
init.c, before the shell comes up.

I have traced the problem and it seems to be that i don't recover from
the function console_init (in file init.c) .

Same kernel and rootfile system works fine when I compile with  with
gcc-4.0.3 toolchain (without EABI).So I cannot doubt UART interrupt, or
console driver.

following mail list similar problem without  any clues:

http://buildroot.uclibc.org/lists/buildroot/2007-February/001516.html

http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-embedded/2006-January/021541.html

here is my log;

Waiting for image to be downloaded via ICE...

Linux version 2.6.18.2 (sainin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ) (gcc version
4.1.1)

 #2 Fri Feb 16 15:44:48 IST 2007

CPU: ARM920T [41129200] revision 0 (ARMv4T), cr=c0003177

Machine: Conexant Edwards-Based IRD

Memory policy: ECC disabled, Data cache writeback

CPU0: D VIVT write-back cache

CPU0: I cache: 16384 bytes, associativity 64, 32 byte lines, 8 sets

CPU0: D cache: 16384 bytes, associativity 64, 32 byte lines, 8 sets

Built 1 zonelists.  Total pages: 16384

Kernel command line: console=ttyRI0 root=/dev/ram  mem=64M debug=0

PID hash table entries: 512 (order: 9, 2048 bytes)

Console: colour dummy device 80x30

Dentry cache hash table entries: 8192 (order: 3, 32768 bytes)

Inode-cache hash table entries: 4096 (order: 2, 16384 bytes)

Memory: 64MB = 64MB total

Memory: 55040KB available (1112K code, 479K data, 68K init)

Mount-cache hash table entries: 512

CPU: Testing write buffer coherency: ok

checking if image is initramfs...it isn't (bad gzip magic numbers); looks
like a

n initrd

Freeing initrd memory: 8192K

NetWinder Floating Point Emulator V0.97 (double precision)

Initializing Cryptographic API

io scheduler noop registered (default)

ttyRI0 at MMIO 0xe0412000 (irq = 2) is a CNXTUART

ttyRI1 at MMIO 0xe0411000 (irq = 1) is a CNXTUART

ttyRI2 at MMIO 0xe0410000 (irq = 0) is a CNXTUART

RAMDISK driver initialized: 4 RAM disks of 8192K size 1024 blocksize

mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice

RAMDISK: ext2 filesystem found at block 0

RAMDISK: Loading 8092KiB [1 disk] into ram disk... done.

Freeing init memory: 68K

Hello WOrld inside init.c

before console_init

 (no shell)