Re: [c++-pthreads] Re: cancellation points report failure

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 12:38:46 -0500, David Abrahams <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Jason Merrill <jason@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>>  * C++ I/O functions can throw a cancellation exception.
>>  * C++ catch blocks work normally.
>>  * If a cancellation exception is destroyed, the cancellation request
>>    is re-entered, and acted on again at the next cancellation point.
>
> I appreciate that your motivation is to ensure that synchronous
> cancellation requests aren't ignored, but that doesn't really seem to
> accomplish the goal.  After all, a thread never has to reach a
> cancellation point, and even if it does, it can keep catching and
> discarding the exceptions indefinitely.

That's fine with me.  I'm not trying to assure that cancellation always
succeeds; as you say, a thread never has to reach a cancellation point.
My goal is to make sure that the cancellation request is never lost,
that it remains either active or pending until the thread exits.

Jason