Re: [c++-pthreads] Restating the Jason model

Re: [c++-pthreads] Restating the Jason model

Alexander Terekhov wrote:

Dave Butenhof wrote:
[...]
Anything else?

Yes; but I don't yet know what it is. ;-)
2-phase EH (with fixed throw spec semantics) and "intelligent" cancel
request delivery. I thought you were in favor of it...

Yes, I am; although I'm far more interested in having a common exception library with the capability available, than in necessarily modifying C++ to fully exploit it. In fact, as I've told you before, my arguments were entirely in regard to a hypothetical "common exception library" (such as the ones to which I'm accustomed on Tru64 and VMS), and I have no interest in involving myself in extending this discussion to C++. While I see advantages in 2-phase EH for C++, this is counterbalanced by the enormous pain that would be involved in trying to switch at this late date. Perhaps if we'd succeeded in convincing Bjarne Stroustrup to do it that way in the first place, things would be different. ;-)

In any case, though, we're talking about how to fit threads (and cancel) into C++. The subject here is NOT how or whether to radically re-engineer the C++ exception model, nor is that necessary to deal rationally and usefully with threads and cancellation. So I prefer not to get drawn into an argument about that in this forum. I've already discussed this issue with Dave Abrahams. I know his opinion and he knows mine; and I guess now you've made sure that everyone else knows mine. As far as I'm concerned, that's the end of it unless "they" want to extend this discussion to cover such matters. (And I'd be surprised if anyone did.)

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean here by '"intelligent" cancel request delivery". If we discussed it before I don't recall that phrase.

--
| Hewlett-Packard Company       Tru64 UNIX & VMS Thread Architect |