Re: [cxx-abi-dev] vtables by different compilers

Re: [cxx-abi-dev] vtables by different compilers

--On Friday, July 26, 2002 04:33:00 PM -0700 Jessica Han <jessica@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am working on the interoperability issues on IA64 HPUX between g++ and
aCC.
I noticed that g++ put vtables into different sections with names like
gnu.linkonce.d.VTABLENAME, but aCC puts all the vtables into .data
sections.

Yes; this is because the GNU linker does not support COMDAT.

We don't *think* this should could problems -- but we don't know that for
sure.

The two ways to make the compilers match are to a) have GCC emit things
in COMDAT, or b) have aCC generate them in the linkonce sections, and
then add support for that to the HP linker.

But, if we can avoid that, it would be better.  If the aCC symbols are
weak, I would think things would work OK.

--
Mark Mitchell                   mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx